Travertine is one form of limestone that naturally forms around mineral spring deposits. When it’s used as flooring, it’s sold via tile and can be found in many different earth tone colors. As is true of all natural stone, it does require certain types of maintenance and it’s not right for all places. However, if it’s properly installed and cared for, it can be a great surface to add a unique looking of natural beauty to your home or business.
Read on to learn about the pros and cons of using this flooring and then reach out to Fuller Stone Care at 855-205-0972 if you need assistance with travertine cleaning or maintenance.
The main advantages of choosing travertine
Travertine flooring is strong, long-lasting and luxurious. There are many other benefits as well, including:
- It’s stylish. Believe it or not, travertine is one of the oldest building materials still used today. Adding it to a project can lend a sense of prestige. Each piece if formed by nature and is one-of-a-kind.
- It’s subtle. While it is a beautiful choice, it’s not a bright, flashy option. It has dignity that comes from its soft colors. It’s a great way to add class to a room without making it feel stuffy.
- It’s durable. Travertine is made to put up with high traffic areas without showing signs of chips, scratches, or cracks. As time goes on, it can become weathered, but Fuller Stone Care is here to offer restoration services.
- It lasts forever. If you have it maintained and cared for, travertine could literally last for multiple decades.
- It’s easy to repair. Travertine is made into tile forms, which means that if you break or damage one tile, you can simply remove and replace it. This is why we always recommend keeping a few tiles after you’ve installed this type of flooring.
The main disadvantages of travertine
Of course, it’s not a perfect option. There are some factors that make it less ideal than other types of flooring:
- The maintenance process is complicated. The tiles are strong and durable, but they also have tiny pores that can let liquids and staining agents in. The good news is that Fuller Stone Care can seal your travertine to prevent this being an issue, and we can continue to perform maintenance to keep it looking great for decades to come.
- It’s a heavy substance. Installation can be complex, in part because these tiles are so heavy. This is a type of flooring you want the professional to handle. You also need to make sure that your floor structure is strong and stiff enough to handle this building material.
- It’s expensive. Compared to all other flooring options, travertine is on the high end as far as price goes. However, if you compare it to other natural stones, it’s actually mid-priced.
- Temperature. While it holds heat well, it can also retain cold. Adding area rugs where you need them can prevent this from being an issue.
If you’re interested in how these floors can and should be maintained, then Fuller Stone Care is just who you’re looking for. Reach out to us at 855-205-0972 for your free quote.