Travertine, which is a type of limestone that is found naturally forming around mineral spring deposits, is used as flooring. It is usually sold in tiles and can be found in natural earth tones ranging from brown to rust to beige. As is true of most natural stone, it’s not the right choice for all purposes and it does require maintenance. That said, when properly installed and maintained, it is a great choice.
Read on to find out the reasons that people choose this option and the reasons that it may not be a good choice. Then reach out to Fuller Stone Care at 855-205-0972 to find out if it is the right choice for your home. We can help with restoration, cleaning, polishing, and much more.
The pros of travertine tile flooring
There are a number of reasons that we do not hesitate to recommend travertine:
- It is stylish. As one of the oldest building materials still in existence, it can instantly add class, age, and prestige to an area. Despite its subtle color and design, it is majestic enough to be a focal point in many rooms.
- It is subdued. It offers all the power of natural stone but it is dignified, thanks in part to the fact that the natural colors it comes in are soft and neutral.
- It is extremely durable. There is a reason that this flooring option has stood the test of time – it is extremely durable. It can take a serious beating without being scratched, cracked, or chipped. If it does become damage, we can help restore it.
- A little maintenance goes a long way. It is necessary to maintain travertine floors but just a few services every few years can help this stone last just about as long as you want it.
- It is easy to repair. Unlike certain other natural stones, travertine is very easy to repair. As a result, even if a piece does break, you can simply replace that pieces instead of having to find a solution for the entire floor.
The cons of travertine flooring
Of course, no flooring option is perfect for all needs. Some of the cons include:
- Maintenance can be complicated. While maintenance is not necessarily needed on a constant basis, the process itself can be complex. The good news is that Fuller Stone Care can provide all the maintenance services you need, including dual-sealing that helps prevent staining.
- Travertine is a heavy stone. Installing can be hard and time-consuming, in part because of how heavy this stone is. If the floor is being installed on a higher floor, then the floor structure may be a concern.
- It is not the most affordable option. For a person looking for a great bargain, travertine is not a good choice. It’s actually less expensive than some other natural stones but is more expensive than the average flooring type.
- It does not retain heat. People in cooler climates often do not choose this type of stone because it can be extremely cold in the winter.
Do you have travertine flooring that needs some TLC? Contact Fuller Stone Care at 855-205-0972 to make an appointment.